openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Michele Sciabarra" <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Setting "parameters" at init time
Date Mon, 06 May 2019 09:55:37 GMT
I am working on the new runtime for java, and I am facing a "new" challenge: java runtime command
line parameters.

In Java world it is extremely common you set the memory size allocated by  java with -Xmx.

In the current runtime I see that java is started with the default parameters only.

CMD ["java", "-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8",  "-jar", "/javaAction/build/libs/javaAction-all.jar"]

Also there are a lot of parameters that are interesting to set.
Unfortunately the default  parameters are inadequate in many cases.

In the command line it is possible to set the maximum memory of the action but I guess those
informations are only used by the Docker container. So I ask:

- is it possible to read the amount of memory allocated to the action so I can do -Xmx<memory>?
- it is possible to read the annotations so I can pass those informations to be able to tune
VM behaviour?

If the answer is "it is not possible", then what about adding them as extra informations at
init time (I can volunteer to work on that...)

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com