openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Sven Lange-Last" <sven.lange-l...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Setting "parameters" at init time
Date Mon, 06 May 2019 10:50:07 GMT
Hello Michele,

with "-Xmx", you set the maximum heap size of a JVM. This is part of
virtual memory settings. In contrast, the action memory limit is a
physical memory limit. It's possible that an action process occupies much
more virtual memory than physical memory. For a JVM, it's not uncommon
that it consumes 1 GiB virtual memory - while only consuming 256 MiB
physical memory that is accounted to the process.

With setting the maximum heap size of a JVM to the action's physical
memory limit, you have a high chance of breaking a lot of actions.

Please see the discussion in [1] for more technical details.

I'm afraid that there is no easy calculation that we could use to
determine the needed maximum heap size of a JVM from the action's physical
memory limit.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-nodejs/pull/104

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards,

Sven Lange-Last
Senior Software Engineer
IBM Cloud Functions
Apache OpenWhisk

E-mail: sven.lange-last@de.ibm.com
Find me on:

Schoenaicher Str. 220
Boeblingen, 71032
Germany

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294