openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Re: CRI-O support?
Date Tue, 14 May 2019 13:40:39 GMT

Henry Zektser <japhar81@gmail.com> wrote on 05/14/2019 09:22:55 AM:

> Dave,
> I can confirm that approach works — I found that flag late last
> night :) It deploys with a minor tweak to the nginx config, and I’m
> able to invoke actions via WSK. Is there a downside to this over the
> host-mapped docker socket? I presume performance?

Great!

The main downside to the KubernetesContainerFactory is performance:

1. extracting the user logs for the executed actions via the Kubernetes API
is horrifically slow. Because a container can't be reused for another
invocation until we get the logs out for the previous invocation, this
significantly degrades overall system throughput.  You can hack around this
by configuring the system with an alternate LogStoreProvider (see
configurationChoices.md [1]), but its not a great solution.

2. cold starts have at least a 3x increase in latency (Kubernetes container
creation is _really_ slow).  This is partially mitigated by OpenWhisk's
reuse of containers, but still could matter for some work loads.

--dave

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-deploy-kube/blob/master/docs/configurationChoices.md