openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: What are the requirements for clustered CouchDB?
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2019 17:58:52 GMT

"Michele Sciabarra" <michele@sciabarra.com> wrote on 04/24/2019 01:46:06
PM:

> Actually I was wondering why you have a monolitic chart deploying
> everything, when there are plenty of "stable" helm chart for
> deploying kafka or redis or couch.
>
> The whole chart should be IHMO split in multiple subchart.

That's where we started (multiple subcharts).  It was a mess because Helm's
support for sharing information across multiple charts is too weak.  We
gave up.  The value of using "stable" charts for standard components was
far out-weighed by the ugliness of the rest of it with lots of replication
and use of globals.

Maybe we didn't do it right, but we tried pretty hard for a while before we
gave up.   Look back in git history around May of 2018 if you want to see
what was there.

--dave

> Or better, write a kubernetes operator for OpenWhisk ... that would
> be outstanding and give him an edge...

I think user-focused operators for OpenWhisk are more compelling.  There
actually are some here [1] that allow managing resources like functions,
triggers, and rules via Kubernetes operators.

--dave

[1] https://github.com/IBM/openwhisk-operator