openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent S Hou" <s...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Current status of Jenkins setup for OpenWhisk
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2019 22:41:36 GMT
Hi OpenWhiskers,

I have already made the Jenkins pipeline working.
I resolved the issue about the constantly failing test case by enabling the memory limit of
docker on each openwhisk VM.
Three VMs are able to run three instances of OpenWhisk deployment and test at the same time.

Normally the result will turn out passed for our code located in master branch of OpenWhisk.
The pipeline is healthy now.
If the pipeline build fails, it could be due to the error of the PR. However, report the issues
you find, if you believe it is caused by mistake of the pipeline.

Thank you.

Best wishes.
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Advisory Software Engineer, OpenWhisk Contributor, Open Technology, IBM Cloud

Notes ID: Vincent S Hou/Raleigh/IBM, E-mail: shou@us.ibm.com,
Phone: +1(919)254-7182
Address: 4205 S Miami Blvd (Cornwallis Drive), Durham, NC 27703, United States

-----Vincent S Hou/Raleigh/IBM wrote: -----
To: dev@openwhisk.apache.org
From: Vincent S Hou/Raleigh/IBM
Date: 03/26/2019 11:26AM
Subject: Re: Current status of Jenkins setup for OpenWhisk

Hi folks,

I have improved the way how we utilize the three VMs for Jenkins pipeline.
Instead of using openwhisk1 as the edge service node, running all the services except invoker,
we can also schedule openwhisk2 and openwhisk3 to run the edge service as well.

How to implement the distributed model to deploy openwhisk?

The deployment topology is orchestrated as below:
If openwhisk1 runs as the edge service, openwhisk2 runs invoker0 and openwhisk3 runs invoker1.
If openwhisk2 runs as the edge service, openwhisk3 runs invoker0 and openwhisk1 runs invoker1.
If openwhisk3 runs as the edge service, openwhisk1 runs invoker0 and openwhisk2 runs invoker1.

Even three of these deployments are able to run at the same time, instead of one deployment
at a time.
For safety reasons, I also added resource lock to each node in Jenkinsfile, so that even if
the job is scheduled to a busy node, it will wait there till the previous job finishes.

I am now looking at the test to stop one of the invokers and run the designated tests. If
you have any idea on how to do that, welcome to chime in.