openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David Breitgand" <DAVI...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Pausing actions, waiting for human input etc.
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:43:23 GMT
Hi Bertrand,

AFAIK, this is not currently possible out of the box, but it will be very
useful.
At IBM Research -- Haifa, we are thinking about similar functionality for
long-running serveless pipelenes over a data lake.
I think a generalization of this will be a "state machine", where you can
suspend on a different events.

Maybe something of the kind should be added to Composer?

Thoughts?

-- david

From:   Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
To:     OpenWhisk Dev <dev@openwhisk.apache.org>
Date:   26/03/2019 03:25 PM
Subject:        Pausing actions, waiting for human input etc.

Hi,

I'm looking at a way to execute long-running compositions of Actions,
including waiting for human inputs with long timeouts in the range of
several days.

The basic pattern is something like

   wsk.suspend(someEvent)
   // this line executes only after that someEvent is received

AFAIK that's not currently possible out of the box - but I'd be happy
to be proven wrong!

Is anyone working on something similar, or are there any prototypes
around that go in that direction?

Two initial ideas that come to mind is taking inspiration from the way
the Composer's Parallel combinator saves state [1], or pausing between
invocations of Conductor Actions [2]. I haven't looked at the details
of how those work so far.

-Bertrand

[1]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_incubator-2Dopenwhisk-2Dcomposer_blob_master_docs_COMBINATORS.md-23parallel&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=V_hxovuZ2mbhs9xLcmbhQHjweOY8lKOd0dcgx6t1ZDU&m=eboWdranasWuCzZLRloF0r1lmgag7QpiorH6-36gxhQ&s=OhSDKXD0Zi3qXftuAX8QauCoy73j3a_mRRNP-mXXi5I&e=

[2]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_incubator-2Dopenwhisk_blob_master_docs_conductors.md&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=V_hxovuZ2mbhs9xLcmbhQHjweOY8lKOd0dcgx6t1ZDU&m=eboWdranasWuCzZLRloF0r1lmgag7QpiorH6-36gxhQ&s=FogDwUOWga_AHT_E3dRWFuvVpyqEgaJm97zzSyoMIws&e=