openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From James Thomas <jthomas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenWhisk Apps on Knative
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:06:00 GMT
My 2 cents (from a personal perspective - these views are my own and not my
employers yada yada)...

Despite the marketing hype, (at the moment) knative isn't a serverless
platform like openwhisk.

It's a Containers-as-a-Service platform (which scales from zero) than a
Functions-as-a-Service platform. It exposes lots of low-level plumbing to
the user, (scaling behaviour, k8s YAML, images), which is all hidden in a
serverless platform.

I think the description on their Github organisation makes more sense...

"Kubernetes-based platform to build, deploy, and manage modern serverless
workloads".

Building primitives into k8s to make running serverless workloads easier
make sense. It doesn't necessary mean that developers will use these
primitives directly.

All the current open-source faas platforms (openwhisk, openfaas, kubeless,
fission, fn project..) have had to implement the same custom runtime
primitives on top of lower-level infrastructure services. Those services
(roughly) map to the knative projects (build, serving, events) being
proposed.

If you follow Simon Wardley's work, you'll recognise this as a known
process as these components shifting from custom-built/product-rental to
commodity/utility on the technology evolution lifecycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnFeIt-uaEc

In theory, Apache OpenWhisk adopting those knative primitives means we can
focus on higher-order systems and new innovations in the serverless space,
whilst leaving the lower-level plumbing to the downstream project.

Kelsey Hightower has regularly stated both k8s and knative are tools for
building platforms, not the platforms developers use.

https://twitter.com/kelseyhightower/status/1104041461836787712

https://twitter.com/kelseyhightower/status/1099710178545434625

There are lots of questions about knative that make things more
challenging….

   -

   Will knative stay as lower-level k8s primitives to run serverless
   workloads or move "up the stack" and starts to provide developer tools or
   frameworks for serverless apps? The former leaves a gap for openwhisk, the
   later less so much (in openwhisk's current incarnation).
   -

   What is the governance model for knative? It is not in a foundation at
   the moment and currently (mostly) controlled by Google. Re-basing solely on
   knative comes with more of a risk until this is cleared up.
   -

   Knative is still extremely immature, it's at like v0.4. The projects
   under the knative organisation, their APIs and goals might change
   substantially over the next 12-24 months.

--
Regards,
James Thomas