openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Pausing actions, waiting for human input etc.
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2019 13:24:52 GMT
Hi,

I'm looking at a way to execute long-running compositions of Actions,
including waiting for human inputs with long timeouts in the range of
several days.

The basic pattern is something like

   wsk.suspend(someEvent)
   // this line executes only after that someEvent is received

AFAIK that's not currently possible out of the box - but I'd be happy
to be proven wrong!

Is anyone working on something similar, or are there any prototypes
around that go in that direction?

Two initial ideas that come to mind is taking inspiration from the way
the Composer's Parallel combinator saves state [1], or pausing between
invocations of Conductor Actions [2]. I haven't looked at the details
of how those work so far.

-Bertrand

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-composer/blob/master/docs/COMBINATORS.md#parallel
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/blob/master/docs/conductors.md