openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: feedback on using Apache OpenWhisk name
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2019 10:15:53 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 6:19 PM Matt Rutkowski <mrutkows@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> ...In my experience, they get very agitated when Apache project names are
> used outside of Apache owned contexts....

It shouldn't be "they" - this (P)PMC should be careful about how its
marks are used, in order to demonstrate that it's protecting them
actively.

Failure to do so might make it much harder to fight violations should
they appear...being unable to challenge someone using the OpenWhisk
name in a confusing and possibly damaging  way would be bad.

An obvious example nowadays is someone distributing a Docker image or
other binary named "OpenWhisk" and doing bad things...protecting our
marks means making sure such things cannot be confused with this
project's releases.

The (P)PMC just needs to clearly define how its marks can be used,
based on the ASF recommendations, and collecting examples like
Rodric's is good for that.

-Bertrand