openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject enhancing scanCode to respect gitignore files
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2019 01:25:33 GMT
I found some gaps in scanCode --- the tool we use for checking repository
conformance for things like headers, white space related formatting, etc.
--- and how exclusions are implemented. I posit there's a desire to allow
scanCode to process existing .gitignore files, and more over to treat the
exclusion section of the scanCode config in the same way as git ignore
files (wild cards don't current work and file-based matching is too loose).

This page provides a detailed description how gitignore rules [1]  and I
found a python library that appears to implement matching a directory tree
against .gitignore [2].

I've incorporated the enhancements into scanCode on my fork here
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-utilities/compare/master...rabbah:gitignore?expand=1,
which closes an issue I opened some time ago [3].

The implementation would require an added dependence for the matching
library (pip install pathspec). I can look into compiling scanCode into a
self container binary which would mean we should also create a release for
scanCode itself.

Thoughts?

-r

[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/gitignore