openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Santana <csantan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenWhisk Apps on Knative
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2019 01:45:29 GMT
I echo Dave’s words

To add:

OpenWhisk was born before Kubernetes was mainstream

OpenWhisk took advantage at that time of Docker CLI and Docker Engine avoiding to re-invent
the wheel.

OpenWhisk was build and deploy using bash and ant at one point, then gradle, ansible, compose
and later Helm

Kubernetes has become mainstream and there are things that OpenWhisk do and is concerned today
that could be delegated to Kubernetes or Kubernetes ecosystem tools and patterns such as Istio,
CRD, Controllers, Operators, etc...

Like Dave said OpenWhisk can still provide a a better developer experience to people that
just want to build serverless applications and don’t have any interest on how the low level
infrastructure, installation, deployment, or scaling layers work.

Maybe it means additions to v1, maybe it takes a re-imagination as a v2, maybe it takes building
on top of Knative, maybe takes integrating trigger providers in the form of native CRDs and
Operators, or maybe fusing parts of both projects

Like Dave said is up to the community and not a single person or single company

- Carlos Santana
@csantanapr