openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Sobkowiak Krzysztof <krzys.sobkow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] graduation from the incubator
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2019 23:13:43 GMT
Hi

At the beginning I'd like to write I like the job you do with
development of OpenWhisk and
I like this platform very much. I was talking about it some weeks ago
and may people were
interested in it. I hope you will be able to graduate soon and become a
TLP.

I see actually some problems with Slack too. It's a good communication
channel, when you want
to discuss something quickly. I used it as well to discuss some
questions with Rodric. And I liked
that Rodric sent a summary of our discussion to @dev. It worked like it
really should work when
channels other than email are used for discussion.

But I see that not all discussions are summarized in dev@. The digests
are good for archiving, but
it's difficult join a discussion in a specific thread, especially when
the thread is old. The messages
in Slack are no more visible after some time (e.g. I cannot see today
messaged older than 31st January,
I see following message "To see and search this channel's full history,
upgrade to one of our paid plans")
With email threads it's easier to join the discussion for the particular
thread or simply reference the thread
(e.g. by url of the thread)

You have also a huge amount of  know-how, tips and tricks and solutions
in Github issues and pull requests.
They can be easily found when searching for problem solutions in Google.
But it would be nice to have it on
the mailing list as well.

I agree with Matt's and Bertrand's suggestions. I think it will make the
participation in this community
easier for people who prefer more asynchronous communication via mailing
list. When we improve the
communication on the dev@ list I see no more big issues on the way to
become a TLP.

Best regards