openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject nodejs runtime packages in base images
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2019 01:53:06 GMT
Hello,

A few times in recent weeks and twice this past week there was discussion
on slack about our nodejs8 and nodejs10 images and the lack of packages in
these images. As we move to deprecate nodejs6 with its coming end of life,
this is worth re-considering: should we include some popular images in the
base image?

We had previously eschewed packages because the thought was providers roll
their own. But I'm finding that our nodejs6 runtime more convenient for
some development because of its built-in packages.

So I opened a draft PR (new on GitHub!) to add some packages to our images
here: https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-nodejs/pull/111

Feedback welcome and especially appreciated if you aren't a provider that
runs their own images.

-r