openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Memory Aware Scheduling
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2019 14:17:47 GMT

Bringing back this old discussion in the context of [1].  After some months
of operational experience, it is clear we need to support memory-aware
throttling.  What Markus proposed below seems quite plausible to me.

--dave

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/4196

On 2018/05/10 11:36:28, "Markus Thoemmes" <markus.thoemmes@de.ibm.com>
wrote:
> # 3. Throttling mechanism:
>
> Very good one, I missed that in my initial proposal: Today, we limit the
number of concurrent activations, or differently phrased the number of
slots occupied at any point in time. Likewise, the throttling can change to
stay "number of slots occupied at any point in time" and will effectively
limit the amount of memory a user can consume in the system, i.e. if a user
has 1000 slots free, she can have 250x 512MB activations running, or 500x
256MB activations (or any mixture of course).

> It's important that we provide a migration path though as this will
change the behavior in production systems. We could make the throttling
strategy configurable and decide between "maximumConcurrentActivations",
which ignores the weight of an action and behaves just like today and
"memoryAwareWeights" which is the described new way of throttling.