openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject time for next OpenWhisk release wave?
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2019 21:55:12 GMT

I would like to see us push out a consolidated next release in the near
future (by end of January?).  I'd also like to see us attempt to establish
a regular cadence of such consolidated releases (perhaps quarterly?).

We would start this release from the leaves of our dependency tree and work
up:
	1) release all action runtimes that have changed since their last
Apache release.
	2) release cli tooling
	3) release event providers
	4) release core system (with pinned versions of runtimes, cli, and
providers)
	5) release packaging projects (kube-deploy, dev-tools, etc.) with
pinned versions of entire system.

I would also like to propose that although we keep semantic versioning of
the sub-packages (openwhisk-runtime-java-x.y.z, openwhisk-cli-a.b.c, etc),
that we adopt a date-based version number for the consolidate uber-release
(eg OpenWhisk 19.01 if we actually manage to get this all out in January).

Opinions?

--dave