openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From ning yg <ningyoug...@gmail.com>
Subject [discuss]Operation-invoker side-change prewarm container
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2019 01:48:25 GMT
Background #
<https://yobi.navercorp.com/Lambda-dev/posts/48#yb-header-background>

I think openwhisk needs some operation tools(page or API) to admin, for
example:

   - real-time status of Action, Controller, Invoker, etc.
   - Change prewarm runtime container for invokers

here, we just discuss Change prewarm container for invokers
Requirements #
<https://yobi.navercorp.com/Lambda-dev/posts/48#yb-header-requirements>

I have submited a patch here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/4225

   -

   Admin can batch add/delete prewarm container via controller.
   The flow may like this, admin sends a HTTP request to the controller,
   controller sends that request info to all invokers through kafka,
   invoker gets the request info, parse the prewarm runtime info, and
do add/delete
   prewarm container

   Note, the prewarm runtime request info's image should be included in
   ${OPENWHISK_HOME}/ansible/files/runtimes.json ,
   if unknow prewarm runtime image is sent to invoker, invoker should
   reject the request.
   -

   Need to support different prewarm runtime for different invokers?
   In future, invokers may support group concept, which means, some
   invokers's cpu, memory is very good, these invokers can execute some height
   works.
   but some invokers may execute some light works.
   In this situation, we may consider heterogeneous invoker cluster support,
   so invokers needs to support different prewarm runtime also.
   So admin can send the http request to invoker to add/delete prewarm
   container.