openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Michele Sciabarra <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Persistent Kafka Connections
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2019 13:12:21 GMT
Hello whiskers,

I am working on a simple webchat based on OpenWhisk  (full disclosure; it is for the book
on OpenWhisk for O'Reilly!) and I am using MessageHub.

However in the documentation for the messaging package I read that the /whisk.system/messaging/messageHubProduce
is deprecated, and the recommended way is to use a persistent connection to Kafka.

This statement is puzzling me.  My first idea is "why do not they cache the connection?",
but I checked the code for messageHubProduce.py here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-package-kafka/blob/master/action/messageHubProduce.py

and looks like the producer is cached, so I wonder if the deprecation of messageHubProduce
is still valid.

Furthermore, I wrote an action to send messages to MessageHub with the idea of implementing
a cached connection, and apparently works:

https://github.com/learning-apache-openwhisk/chapter11-messages/blob/master/src/persistent/main/send.go

So the question is: is this the correct way to send messages to Kafka (caching connnections?)
Can I recommend this practice in the book?

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com