openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Shared Context in OpenWhisk - Fixed format
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2018 16:30:53 GMT

"Erez Hadad" <EREZH@il.ibm.com> wrote on 12/06/2018 11:20:26 AM:

> 5. Implementation cost - not sure it's that great, but I need to study
the

> issue more. I put one slide in the backup section of the presentation
> listing the main components involved, and this could be further
discussed.

> For example, I think that environment variables are provided as a package

> to the runtimes, so adding one more env. var. should make no code
> difference in the runtimes. Alternatively, if using external storage
> (e.g., Redis) for all the context, the key can simply be the activation
> id, which is already there, so no code change at either invoker or
> runtimes. A separate library or service can implement the access to the
> context.

If not using external storage, how do additions to the shared context get
back to the controller so they can be flowed to the next action?

At first glance, this involves modifying all the runtimes, the invoker, and
the controller to propagate context modifications back along with the
action result.

--dave