openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Michele Sciabarra <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Are changes to the ActionLoop required to implement the Pyhton runtime?
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:42:26 GMT
Hello all,

I am implementing an action loop based runtime for Python. So far I managed to have everything
working and I have a runtime that passes all the mandatory tests. However, I am trying to
run it against the existing tests for the Python runtime and I am hitting the head against
the expected behavior for reporting compilation errors.

Looks like the current runtime tests expects (and checks) that certain errors are reported
in stdout/stderr and produces output guards also for the init action, something novel for
me.

Currently, ActionLoop expects a compiler either is silent if there are no errors OR reports
errors in stdout/stderr. However, the output of the compiler is captured and returned as
part of the answer to the init (either {"ok":true} or {"error":"output-of-the-compiler"}.
In particular, ActionLoop at  init time does not produce any guard nor any output in the log.

What I should do? To pass those tests I should change the current ActionLoop behavior, but
I do not know if is it important. I am trying to make it compatible a pass all the tests for
expected output but I think I can instead change the test at least for those behaviors related
to error reporting at init time.

Please advise.

--
  Michele Sciabarra