openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Black <endo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk modules
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:53:44 GMT
 All,
Sorry for the long delay in response to this, but I just wanted to follow up.
For the .NET runtime, is Apache.OpenWhisk an acceptable namespace (similar to a package name
in the JVM world)?
While .NET namespaces are similar to Java packages in terms of purpose, they differ in one
area -- .NET namespaces lack a TLD (so no .org/.net/.com, etc.).
Including TLDs in .NET namespaces is rarely done in active development and I think you would
be hard pressed to find any (major) actively developed projects using one.
Thanks!!Shawn

    On Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 3:53:38 AM CDT, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
wrote:

 Hi,

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 4:49 PM Vincent S Hou <shou@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> ...In order to make OpenWhisk a real member of Apache, we need to make a overhaul for
the package name existing in all openwhisk projects....

Thank you for driving this!

Someone asked me off-list about the .NET code that's part of
OpenWhisk, whether packages also need to be renamed.

As there's not much .NET code at Apache I don't think we have clear
guidelines, but I think it's good to express that the code belongs to
"Apache OpenWhisk" one way or another. The idea is to clearly
differentiate between code that's from Apache or not, and also to
strengthen the Apache OpenWhisk brand, so I think if it's practical
it's good to change package names there as well.

-Bertrand