openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "James W Dubee" <jwdu...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Logstore usage during `activation get`
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2018 15:45:34 GMT

Hey guys,

For scalability concerns, I think it is preferable to separate logs from
activation records entirely. Doing so would require users to use the logs
API, or whatever tools are provided by the underly logging service. We
should focus on serverless technology and delegate log handling to services
that specialize in such areas.

>From experimenting with storing logs in a different data store other than
where activations are stored, I've seen that there may be intermittent test
failures for tests that rely on data being present in an activation
record's log field. This may result when the activation record is retrieved
before all the logs are stored in the separate log store.

On a similar note, I don't think we should be storing activation responses
at all.

Regards,
James Dubee

From:	Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com>
To:	dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:	10/02/2018 07:30 PM
Subject:	Re: Logstore usage during `activation get`

> By "break this" do you mean at some point we should remove the logs from
the GET?

Yes.

@dubee thoughts? Since you've worked on the elastic plugin.

-r