openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent S Hou" <s...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk modules
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:00 GMT
Hi all,

In order to make OpenWhisk a real member of Apache, we need to make a overhaul for the package
name existing in all openwhisk projects. This is a must-have to relase
1.0.0 or above. This mail is a call-for-action, making every whisker on the same page.

As I went through all the 12 modules, which have released under Apache for the first time,
there are only 2 modules, which need their package names changed: OpenWhisk and openwhisk
runtime java. Package really means a grouping mechanism in terms of compiling and building
for Scala and Java.

For example, the package "whisk.***" will be changed into "org.apache.openwhisk.***".

All the Go modules do not need to change, since Go projects have their native way to define
the structure.
Runtime nodejs, docker, swift, php, and python do not need to change, since they do not have
the syntax for package, only directory.
Catalog does not need to change.
Apigateway does not need to change.

If you do not agree on my discovery, feel free to chime in with comments.

For companies with existing platforms built on top of openwhisk, this change of package name
will bring in incompatibility to the legacy. There are two ways proposed here to cope with:
1. use the openwhisk 0.9.0 official release available under apache as the code base; 2. change
the package name in the platform as well to cater for the package renaming.

For other openwhisk modules, which plan to launch releases under Apache. Double-check whether
you have package, which needs to change into "org.apache.openwhisk***".
The effort of changing the package will start soon. Be prepared.

Thanks for your attention.

Best wishes.
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Advisory Software Engineer, OpenWhisk Contributor, Open Technology, IBM Cloud

Notes ID: Vincent S Hou/Raleigh/IBM, E-mail: shou@us.ibm.com,
Phone: +1(919)254-7182
Address: 4205 S Miami Blvd (Cornwallis Drive), Durham, NC 27703, United States