openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Tyson Norris <tnor...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject system tests with external logstore
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2018 00:54:18 GMT
Hi –
We are successfully using the openwhisk system tests against our deployments, but as we near
deployments with our external log store, there is the conflict that current tests expect:

  *   Logs to be returned with ‘wsk activation get’
  *   Logs to be available immediately

To deal with this, I’ve been considering adding some config to tests to allow:

  *   Boolean flag to signal that logs are only available at `wsk activation logs`
  *   Integer config to delay access to those logs (for whatever amount of time is suitable
for the logstore)

WDYT?
One question is – if there is a notion that at some point ‘wsk activation get’ should
not be relied on for logs, how do we get to the point where the ‘wsk activation get’ api
stops including logs? If there is a path to changing this API, we can deprecate it, change
the tests to use `wsk activation logs` without any config flag to signal it. It’s not clear
how important this is to folks, so I am assuming that making it configurable for test runs
would be the best possible case for now, but let me know if you think different.

Longer term, I’m also wondering if we can make the delay transparent to users, but leveraging
the “start sentinel” that Dave has started at [1]. In that case, assuming the “start”
AND “end” sentinels are sent to log store, the LogStore impl can determine the difference
between “no logs here yet” and “logs received, but there was only sentinels (no user
logs)”. Currently our runtime does NOT include sentinels at all, so devs are left to “reload”
logs requests, if they are expecting logs to show up. In our case it is pretty fast, few seconds,
but still not super experience.

Thanks
Tyson

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/3974