openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Bickel <cbic...@apache.org>
Subject Relieve CouchDB on high load
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2018 12:22:20 GMT
Hi developpers,

in some performance tests in the past we've seen, that there are the
following issues with Cloudant/CouchDB:
- not all activations can be stored (there are error logs in the invoker,
that storing was not possible)
- during bursts, CouchDB needs to process each document to update all views
in the activations-DB. If CouchDB is not able to process them immediately,
because of a queue, calling these views returns an error or the result will
be outdated (on calling them with stale). This has the impact, that there
is a delay for all users of the system until their activation appear after
calling `activation list`.

To not have negative impact of some high-load users on the system the
proposal is, to not store activations in activations-store for some
specified namespaces.
My proposal of an implementation is to put this flag into the
limits-document in subjects database.
This means, it can only be set by the administrator with wskadmin.

I already opened a PR with this proposal:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/4078

Do you agree on going forward with this proposal and implementation?

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback.

Greetings
Christian