openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Santana <csantan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interpretation of "main" for GoLang and ActionLoop docker images
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2018 18:32:45 GMT
Another thing to discuss is the name of the executable inside the zip file

TLDR; Use "exec" as the entry point binary executable inside the zip

I think we should keep some consistency with how we handle it today in
dockerskeleton where we us by convention "exec"
This exec is the entry point, no manifest file is to point to it is by
convention in the root of the zip. this allows to have a zip with a bash
script and other files, for someone to migrate fo actionloop makes it less
changes.
This exec can be a bash script, a perl script, a rust binary, a go binary
as long it conforms with the contract today to take the "value" json object
in stdin and exit with the last line to print is json out.

With the new golang and actionloop we should do the same
The exec in the root of the zip is the entry point binary (go, rust) or
script (bash, perl, etc), the contract would be different.
The contract is take the whole /run json including value and the other env
variables in stdin, exec doesn't exit, the output goes to fd3 not stdout,
and it loops again to grab next invocation fro stdin, with a new set of
"value" and environment variables (i.e deadline, etc..)

If "exec" can only be use for actionloop, and for a good reason not in
golang runtime I'm ok just want to understand and discuss pro and cons

-- Carlos