openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logstore usage during `activation get`
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2018 23:21:27 GMT
Hi Tyson - this was the intent of the API design: there is a separate resource for LOGS and
the RESULT. The reasoning also that the metadata is typically small but the logs could be
much larger. Separating the two was also intended for easier streaming of the responses.

Because of implementation made it easier to bundle the response, we have the current “feature”
where GET on the activation id returns the entire record. I think we can break this because
the clients can sugar the underlying calls.

-r

> On Oct 2, 2018, at 12:07 PM, Tyson Norris <tnorris@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi –
> I created this PR [1] due to noticing that `wsk activation get` does NOT return logs
from a LogStore which stores logs outside of the Activation entity.
> But it bring up a question of: Does IBM or any other operator who might use a custom
LogStore desire to have logs included with `activation get`?
> Currently returning logs is only possible using `wsk activation logs`
>
> Personally, I think it is “nice” to have a separate explicit request for logs and
activation metadata, and this is the way that the current OW Activation API operates with
regards to an external LogStore (splunk, elk, etc), but after all it is inconsistent from
the case where logs are NOT using external storage.