openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Michele Sciabarra <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Re: A question about concurrency in OpenWhisk
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2018 12:17:11 GMT
Ok so my assumption is correct and we can release the runtime.
The runtime can be extended to handle a pool of underlying action distributing the requests
to the available handler. There will be separated channels for each action, without overlap.
 In the current shape with concurrent actions there can be an "out-of-band" behavior.

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

----- Original message -----
From: Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com>
To: dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Subject: Re: A question about concurrency in OpenWhisk
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 07:09:02 -0400

Today there is at most one activation at a time per container we. A PR from Tyson will allow
a runtime to opt into intro container concurrency and so the invoker will send up to N  invocations
to that the container when possible.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/2795

-r

> On Oct 29, 2018, at 7:06 AM, Michele Sciabarra <michele@sciabarra.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to understand a bit more how concurrency is handled by the Invoker.
>
> If there are, say, 2 concurrent requests, can the invoker send the second request to
the same runtime BEFORE it has completed the first request? I have seen some tests related
in the nodejs runtime but none in the basic tests.

> Also, Carlos mentioned the need to increase the concurrency in the same runtime. It can
be done but I need to know the requirements. So far I assumed that until a request is not
completed, the invoker will spawn another runtime to serve them.