openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION]: Proposing to use 1.12.0 as the version for all runtimes for the first-time release under Apache
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2018 18:37:36 GMT
Hi Vincent,

	I respect the work that has been done and all that has been learned.

	I agree there is a core set of repositories that need to be released
together to make a platform.

	But, we make a significant error in the order of release and
continuing to use the "latest" tag in released branches.  This is not your
fault.  We collectively missed it.

	I am sorry but 0.9.0 openwhisk and 0.9.0 openwhisk-deploy-kube are
not compatible.   The core openwhisk release is from June 29.  There have
been multiple configuration changes in the core project since June 29 that
have been reflected in openwhisk-0.9.0 deploy-kube.  If you built a set of
docker images from the 0.9.0 openwhisk src release they could not be
successfully deployed using the 0.9.0 deploy-kube src release because the
set of configuration flags for the controller/invoker are not compatible.

	One possible solution to salvage 0.9.0 as a coherent set of source
files is to remove openwhisk-kube-deploy from the 0.9.0 release.  I don't
know if this will be enough. There have also been changes in the various
runtime projects since June 29 to match changes made in the core system
post 0.9.0.  It is possible that these are all forward/backward compatible,
but I do not know that we have tested them to verify that.   We will need
to do a significant amount of testing if we want to be able to tell uses
that they can actually use the 0.9.0 release as a coherent set of source
files to build an OpenWhisk deployment themselves.

--dave