openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent S Hou" <s...@us.ibm.com>
Subject [DISCUSSION]: Release plan of OpenWhisk 0.9.0 for all modules
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2018 15:42:56 GMT
Hi all,

In order to keep you on the same page, I will discuss my release plan for openwhisk 0.9.0
of all the 13 modules.

As you know, we have already released OpenWhisk main module for Version 0.9.0 in Apache for
the first time. There are still 12 other modules/projects on the roadmap. I would like to
release the rest of them in groups:

* client go and cli as a group,
* catalog and apigateway as a group,
* wskdeploy and deploy cube as a group,
* Nodejs, Java and Swift runtimes as a group,
* Docker, Php and Python as a group,

till all the modules are released under 0.9.0, which means I will send out emails for votes
based on different groups. Please prepare for them. I expect another month to release all
the rest modules, on top of main module.

I will tag all of them as Version 0.9.0-incubating to be consistent with the main module,
so far in the end we will have all the 13 modules under the same version number for users
to pick, build and install.

I also offer a full-set artifact named openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-all.tar.gz including all
the 13 modules for one-stop download, after all the 13 modules are released.

The reason why we would not release all the modules at a time was discussed here:https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openwhisk.apache.org/msg01893.html.
This release plan I proposed above is a compromise of release all at a time and release one-by-one.
I would like to hear the comments from about this release plan. If no objection is received,
we will go with it.

Thank you.

Best wishes.
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Advisory Software Engineer, OpenWhisk Contributor, Open Technology, IBM Cloud

Notes ID: Vincent S Hou/Raleigh/IBM, E-mail: shou@us.ibm.com,
Phone: +1(919)254-7182
Address: 4205 S Miami Blvd (Cornwallis Drive), Durham, NC 27703, United States