openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION]: Proposing to use 1.12.0 as the version for all runtimes for the first-time release under Apache
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2018 17:41:03 GMT

Justin Halsall <justin@juice10.com> wrote on 08/27/2018 01:16:41 PM:

> I recently bumped into docker-compose always pulling in the latest
> version of our containers but then failing because we had changed
> some of the dependent variables in the docker image but forgot to do
> so in our Docker Compose configuration files. With the centralized
> runtime manifest we could easily lock our deployments (including
> docker compose) to a release version with limited hassle.

Also been thinking about this.  We do have a central manifest already
(runtime.json + ansible group_vars/all in the core project). The mistake we
made is that we left all these tags at "latest" in the 0.9.0 release
(arguably because there had not been a release of the sub-projects yet, so
there was nothing else to use as a tag value).

In future releases, we need to first officially release any of the "leaf"
projects that aren't current, then branch the core repo into a release
branch, then commit a version of runtime.json (and other ansible files) on
this branch that pulls from a fixed tag (not latest) for all the other
projects.   Same thing for the kube-deploy, docker-compose, etc. -- branch,
commit fixed tags for images, then release.

As it is, the 0.9.0 release is only useful for practice with the Apache
release process.  The various source artifacts tagged 0.9.0 are not
actually compatible with each other.

--dave