openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject logging baby step -- worth pursuing?
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2018 21:29:12 GMT

Even if we think structured logging is the right eventual goal, it could
take a while to get there (especially since it is changing functionality
users may have grown accustomed to).

However, for non-concurrent, non-blackbox runtimes we could make a small,
not-user visible change, that could enable fully offline and streaming log
processing.  We already generate an end-of-log sentinel to stdout/stderr
for these runtimes.  If we also generated a start-of-log sentinel to
stdout/stderr that included the activation id, we should be able to fully
process the logs offline and in a streaming manner and get the needed
activation id injected into every logline.

Is this worth pursuing?   I'm motivated to get log processing out of the
Invoker/ContainerRouter so we can push ahead with some of the scheduler
redesign....without tackling logging, I don't think we'll be able to assess
the true scalability potential of the new scheduling architectures.

--dave