openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Yash S <y...@lumobee.com>
Subject Re: AI Actions as a first-class citizen in OpenWhisk
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2018 21:46:50 GMT
Second that, Dragos

________________________________
From: Dragos Dascalita Haut <ddascal@adobe.com.INVALID>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 2:17:20 PM
To: dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Subject: AI Actions as a first-class citizen in OpenWhisk

Once you've experienced FaaS, you don't wanna go back. This has been my experience with AI
and FaaS.

In particular, running AI inferences in FaaS proved to be a great match:

- Each function processes one request at a time. A model usually takes 1 data input and produces
1 data output.

- Enough code to fit into a function. An AI action loads a model, runs the inference, and
returns the result.

- In addition, FaaS provides a model to scale to 0 and scale to millions with the traffic.

With OpenWhisk I think we're very close to make AI Actions a first-class citizen for developers,
and I've created a wiki to explore what it would take to get there [1].  Coincidently James
Thomas also published today his experience with Tensorflow and OpenWhisk [2]

I'm interested in your thoughts, and see if there's enough interest in our community to make
this a reality.

Feel free to contribute to the wiki with edits, comments, anything you'd wanna add.

[1] - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/AI+Actions

[2] - https://medium.com/openwhisk/serverless-machine-learning-with-tensorflow-js-4aa24494a9b4

Thanks,

dragos