openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Thömmes <markusthoem...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Simplifying configuring OpenWhisk Components (#3984)
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2018 08:01:49 GMT
Hi Chetan,

good idea!

A bit of background on why it is how it is: When I implemented the approach
we're having today, the basic thought was to be able to detect on a quite
granular level what changes are needed to which components, even when they
share values. For example: In the Kubernetes case, most of the env
variables are read out of a ConfigMap. Updating such a ConfigMap can
trigger a restart of the specific pods to reload the config.

This is possible with this approach as well, in fact for something like
Kubernetes it's even easier (I believe you can mount the ConfigMap directly
without needing to pass it via env). What I'd like to make sure though:

Is it possible to layer configurations with this? For example: If I create
a `database.conf` and a `controller.conf`, is there a way to mount these in
a way that they are both read and merged by the specific component?

Cheers,
Markus