openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Dominic Kim <style9...@gmail.com>
Subject [Discussion] Use TransactionID as ActivationID
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2018 03:39:35 GMT
Dear whiskers.

This is to discuss to whether we will allow using TransactionID as
ActivationID.
Some of discussion history is here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/3671

As that PR is merged, now ActivationID is included in response headers.

Currently, TransactionID is being generated in Nginx with this change:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/3199

Then, one question that Rabbah raised comes up.
Why do we have similar two IDs in headers? (x-request-id,
x-openwhisk-activation-id)
Couldn't it be possible to use just one ID for both the cases?

Basic idea is just to use TransactionID(x-request-id) as a ActivationID.
But there are still few concerns that Christian described here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/3671#issuecomment-392002543

And the main issue is the uniqueness of ActivationID.
If we allow using TransactionID as ActivationID, ActivationID could be
generated in two different places(Nginx, controller) as a controller also
needs to generate activation id in case of triggers and sequence actions
invocation.

I want to kick off the discussion and listen to a good idea from many
whiskers.

Thanks
Regards
Dominic.