openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Dragos Dascalita Haut <ddas...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject AI Actions as a first-class citizen in OpenWhisk
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2018 21:17:20 GMT
Once you've experienced FaaS, you don't wanna go back. This has been my experience with AI
and FaaS.

In particular, running AI inferences in FaaS proved to be a great match:

- Each function processes one request at a time. A model usually takes 1 data input and produces
1 data output.

- Enough code to fit into a function. An AI action loads a model, runs the inference, and
returns the result.

- In addition, FaaS provides a model to scale to 0 and scale to millions with the traffic.

With OpenWhisk I think we're very close to make AI Actions a first-class citizen for developers,
and I've created a wiki to explore what it would take to get there [1].  Coincidently James
Thomas also published today his experience with Tensorflow and OpenWhisk [2]

I'm interested in your thoughts, and see if there's enough interest in our community to make
this a reality.

Feel free to contribute to the wiki with edits, comments, anything you'd wanna add.

[1] - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/AI+Actions

[2] - https://medium.com/openwhisk/serverless-machine-learning-with-tensorflow-js-4aa24494a9b4

Thanks,

dragos