openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Thoemmes" <markus.thoem...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Proposal on a future architecture of OpenWhisk
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2018 08:49:17 GMT
Hi Tzu-Chiao,

great questions although I'd relay those into a seperate discussion. The design proposed does
not intent to change the way we provide oberservibility via persisting activation records.
The controller takes that responsibility in the design.

It is fair to open a discussion on what our plans for the activation record itself are though,
in the future. There is a lot of work going on in that area currently, with Vadim implementing
user-facing metrics (which can serve of part of what activation records do) and James implementing
different ActivationStores with the intention to eventually moving activation records to the
logging system.

Another angle here is that both of these solutions drop persistence of the activation result
by default, since it is potentially a large blob. Persisting logs into CouchDB doesn't really
scale either so there are a couple of LogStores to shift that burden away. What remains is
largely a small, bounded record of some metrics per activation. I'll be happy to see a separate
proposal + discussion on where we want to take this in the future :)

Cheers,
Markus