openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Rutkowski" <mrutk...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: New Downloads page for our project website
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2018 21:57:05 GMT
Thanks for the review Bertrand,

It appears our links do follow the Apache prescriptions here (under
"Download links"): http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html

and do not use the "dist" domain (i.e., not using dist dot apache dot org
as the domain)

However, Apache Beam's page:
https://beam.apache.org/get-started/downloads/ looks like it does not
comply with those same prescriptions...

If you are suggesting we use a CGI download script (as listed on the same
Apache download page (as I cannot tell after URL Defense rewrites the URLs
in these emails), then I can look to do so tomorrow or Wednesday; that is
use the generic closer.cgi hosted generic script.

Kind regards,
Matt

From:   Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   07/23/2018 02:56 PM
Subject:        Re: New Downloads page for our project website

Hi Matt,

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 4:58 PM Matt Rutkowski <mrutkowski@apache.org>
wrote:

http://openwhisk.apache.org/downloads.html

> It was quick and basic, but is in line with what is shown for other
Apache projects; feel free to comment. ..

Thanks for setting up that page!

Direct links to /dist should not be published however, downloads need
to go via the Apache mirroring system to avoid overburdening our
servers.

A quick way to do that is to replace a link like

https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating/openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

with

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?action=download&filename=incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating/openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

Using the relative path of the file under /dist

If desired, a nicer download page with menus to select mirrors can be
setup as per
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html

which points to the httpd download page as an example.

-Bertrand