openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David Breitgand" <DAVI...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: MiniWhisk: what you think?
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2018 17:17:00 GMT
Hi Michele,

There is a PR we've submitted on Lean OpenWhisk (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/3886)
There is also a blog here:
https://medium.com/openwhisk/lean-openwhisk-open-source-faas-for-edge-computing-fb823c6bbb9b

Would you like to look at it and see if it will be good enough for what
you want to achieve.
The idea is to have OW (an actual one based on the Controller and Invoker
upstream), but with a very small memory footprint.

Thanks.

-- david

From:   Michele Sciabarra <openwhisk@sciabarra.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   25/07/2018 08:02 PM
Subject:        MiniWhisk: what you think?

Hello,  in the process of developing some examples for the goproxy, I
realized I want a tool to make easier developing go actions locally. While
it is generally acceptable to deploy your actions straight to the IBM
Cloud for example when you code in Javascript (or Python) it is less
desiderable for Go because compilation time in the cloud is not so fast as
it is when compiled locally, and you have the additional time of uploading
a binary that is generally bigger than javascript actions.

SO I ended up with this idea of the "miniwhisk". I am posting here to see
if  it is acceptable or... there are better solutions.

My idea of the miniwhisk is a "single action " executor. It should work
more or less this way:

$ miniwhisk /path/of/action  -runtime openwhisk/actionloop-go-v1.10:master
 -watch *.go -build make -action demo

This command will launch the runtime
"openwhisk/actionloop-go-v1.10:master"  using docker run, then will watch
the files specified with "-w". When a file changes, it will execute the
build command (-build) and then execute and "init" of the action runtime,
post the action to the runtime as an init.

Additional (and most importantly) it starts a webserver that will listen
to /path/of/action for GET and POST and will then translate requests in
appropriate /run posts for the runtime.

Basically it is a tool to develop an action in go locally simulating what
would happen when run in the real OpenWhisk.

How does sound the idea? Is it worth the effort?

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  openwhisk@sciabarra.com