openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Santana <csantan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: runtime images tagged "master" vs "latest"
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2018 19:16:28 GMT
TLDR;
"master" = image with latest commit in the branch master in the github repo
"latest"   = image slower cadence latest stable matching changelog group
changes

-----
That was me that configured the runtime repos in this way.
I recently added to push "master" tag automatically for folks including my
self that are supper lazy and convenient to use the last commit merged into
master to build be an image that is available right away.
It's meant for bleeding edge when you know what your doing to do out of
your way to do "wsk action update openwhisk/nodejs6action:master"

Where I reserved "latest" tag for a "default" tag meaning stable, matching
the last stable build matching the changelog.
So the process is to update the changelog and move the "latest" tag to be
at the same commit

This way if we need to have a window where we can merge multiple PRs into
master, and other components/systems/deployments that use the runtime
image, don't take the hit right away

So far runtimes updates are very slow traffic and have not need this small
window so far, so maybe we can leave it as "latest" is bleeding edge.

-cs