openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where to contribute examples for Golang?
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2018 17:59:26 GMT
> Currently, the READMEs are all quite different in assumption of
role/reason a developer might go there and most are not typically great for
the most important role "Action developer"; we need to consider this role
when authoring and will do so in any template proposal.

Hi Matt

indeed as I worked with all the runtimes recently this is too recent on my
mind. Please take a look at this document under canonical runtime structure
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/blob/master/docs/actions-new.md#canonical-runtime-repository
and let's try to document things as we normalize the runtimes (and we
should even provide a template perhaps).

I think the READMEs should have both instructions for a developer (who
wants to develop the runtime further, and test it locally) as well as a
user (who just wants to create actions using the runtime). Many of the
runtimes do the former and not the latter. We have "how to" instructions in
the openwhisk/docs/actions-*.md files today.

-r