openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From TzuChiao Yeh <su3g4284zo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposing Lean OpenWhisk
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2018 14:46:48 GMT
Hi David,

Looks cool! Glad to see OpenWhisk step forward to the edge use case.

Simple question: have you considered the way that remove out docker
containers (break up isolation)?

Due to close-source, I'm not sure how aws greengrass did, but seems like
there's no docker got installed at all.

The edge computing benefits for some advantages,
1. bandwidth reduction.
2. lower latency.
3. offline computing capability (not for all scenarios, but this is indeed
aws greengrass claimed for).

We can first ignore the use cases that required ultra low-latency (i.e.
interactive AR/VR, speech language translation). But for general use cases,
cold start problem in serverless makes low latency no sense. Since there's
only about 100-200ms RTT from device to cloud, but container
creation/deletion is much higher. Besides from this, (part of) edge devices
are not provided as an IaaS service, therefore we can even care no
multi-tenancy or weaker isolation. What do you think?

Thanks,
Tzu-Chiao Yeh (@tz70s)