openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposing Lean OpenWhisk
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:58:33 GMT
Glad to see this work reaching maturity. As Markus noted I think there could be more convergence
down the line too.

Looking forward to the PR.

-r

> On Jul 16, 2018, at 4:17 AM, David Breitgand <DAVIDBR@il.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Pavel and I are working on lean OpenWhisk. The idea is to allow an efficient use of OpenWhisk
with small form factor compute nodes (e.g., IoT gateways). The proposition is to get rid of
Kafka, have controller and invoker compiled together into a "lean" controller-invoker (have
a Gradle project for that) with controller calling the invoker's method directly via an in-memory
object (a queue, which is also loaded via SPI) via a new pluggable load balancer that is selected
via SPI using configuration file property setting. Here is a blog https://medium.com/@davidbr_9022/lean-openwhisk-open-source-faas-for-edge-computing-fb823c6bbb9bproviding
some more detail and points to our fork.

> An important thing is that we are _not_ proposing a new project. Rather we want to submit
a PR to allow for a lean distro of OpenWhisk that uses the same OpenWhisk code base and consumes
everything downstream by virtue of exploiting SPI.

> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- david
> David Breitgand, Ph. D.
> Senior Researcher, IBM Research -- Haifa, Israel
> Tel: +972-4-829-1007 | Mobile: +972 54 7277-881
> "Ambition is the path to success, persistence is the vehicle you arrive in", William
Eardley IV