openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concurrency in invoker http client
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2018 15:11:25 GMT

> On Jul 13, 2018, at 8:21 PM, Markus Thoemmes <markus.thoemmes@de.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> As a more general, existential question: Do we even need the truncation path? Could we
just deny the response straight away if the user's action returns a bigger value than allowed?

Thanks for asking the question. We could change the behavior. I don’t know how often we’ve
truncated a response in production (is  it even common)?

The thought was you’ve paid the activation, you should see part of the result. Otherwise
you have to check the size of your response and be mindful of that limit as a developer. If
you’re passing large blobs in-line you’re already living dangerously perhaps.

We do truncate logs but unlike a truncated result the latter is less useful and will terminate
your action in a sequence. In a conductor you’d end up with an exception unless you have
a “try/catch” handler.

-r