openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Michele Sciabarra <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Re: MiniWhisk: what you think?
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2018 17:43:49 GMT

>Michele, this is a useful idea to ease local development. When it's not
>enough to test using the native runtime (nodejs. python, go) directly, I
>use the invoke.py script [1] to minic running inside the container.

Thats is a great information because I was wondering how to know exactly the invocation parameters.
I know a few, but not all. Of course I could rewrite it in Go :)

>There was a plugin for the cloud shell from IBM that did what you're
>suggesting as well and there may be a youtube video for this (@nick
>mitchell might know where it is, I couldn't find it easily).
There "was" or there "is"? No need to redo it if it is there. This is why I am asking here.
Some links  to see the state and decide if it is worth to extend or it is good enough.

>The thought was to push this even further and instead of replicating the
>openwhisk API more generally, use a very light weight openwhisk like the
>one David and Pavel are alluding to.
Yes but I am not sure it is the same think. My tool would also compile so it would act like
the typical development tools, I do not think the Light Whisk would do that as the purpose
is different

>I do think this is a generally useful tool for local development and I
>think we have several parts to make it possible today. +1 from me.
Links please, duplicating is not my goal , if I can improve what is there it is better.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/blob/master/tools/actionProxy/invoke.py

-r