openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent S Hou" <s...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2018 12:18:59 GMT
This is pure go source code as the client. If there is no server(openwhisk not release or available),
how do we test? If there is an openwhisk, we just grab it and run it. We need to add the steps
as the instructions, but it is based on there is an openwhisk service running. I mean if only
release this go client code, there is nothing we can run it against.

No need to build it, since it is not CLI. We do not need to generate anything.

Best wishes.
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Advisory Software Engineer, OpenWhisk Contributor, Open Technology, IBM Cloud

Notes ID: Vincent S Hou/Raleigh/IBM, E-mail: shou@us.ibm.com,
Phone: +1(919)254-7182
Address: 4205 S Miami Blvd (Cornwallis Drive), Durham, NC 27703, United States

-----Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com> wrote: -----
To: dev@openwhisk.apache.org
From: Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com>
Date: 06/22/2018 03:40AM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating

> It’s reasonable to assume that when it goes to the Incubator people, they are going
to have another list of items to address that are again nothing to do with the operation of
the code.

Quite likely - I’m of the same opinion. So reducing the surface makes sense to me. Getting
through all the way with a successful first step to release at least one of the repos is a
sensible strategy given this is a first Apache release for the project.

I looked through https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-client-go and it is the entirely
self contained - all go code, no deps on other openwhisk repos.

The readme doesn’t have a built step though   (Or test although there are a handful of go
tests in the repo).

I also don’t see why we have to use different release numbers. Each of the components was
broken out to make them independently managed so why couldn’t they all eventually be released
as 0.9 as part of the overall first distributions?

-r