openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Rutkowski" <mrutk...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2018 15:27:08 GMT
Hi Bertrand,

I am not sure I understand.  Are you saying you believe the Incubator PMC
will fail us strictly due to having 13 tgz/tar files vs. 1 for a first
release?  Again, it makes no sense to me as it is strictly a choice of
logical separation (representative of our architectural parts) and
packaging?   Surely you see that can and it is technically not hard to
explain.

Are you saying they need to be "eased into the concept" because we will
have 13 (now and more eventually); at some point the board will be exposed
to multiples.

Plus a single repo. source is not usable by itself and its build dependent
on the other parts as I mentioned earlier.

Kind regards,
Matt

From:   Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   06/21/2018 10:17 AM
Subject:        Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating

Hi Matt,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 5:03 PM Matt Rutkowski <mrutkowski@apache.org>
wrote:
> ...For now, I am quite happy with releasing all together....

We can try, but as I said I'm not sure if the Incubator PMC will
accept this for a first release.

Even releasing a single module that's not usable by itself is progress
w.r.t. the incubation process, where it's the process and legal
aspects that count, for initial incubating releases, more than the
technical viability of the product. There's even no obligation to
"advertise" those releases, considering them training releases is
fine.

But we can try if that's what the majority of the PPMC wants and if
the other mentors do not disagree.

> ...BTW, I am more than happy to formalize and represent this position
(along with the
> history) to make it clear for others during the review process....

I think it's easy to understand the technical justification for
releasing multiple modules together - my angle is just the "incubation
training" one.

-Bertrand