openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent S Hou" <s...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2018 18:04:50 GMT
Bertrand,

For the module main openwhisk to be released for the first time, we do not ship the test cases,
since there are many packages as the test data, we do not want to ship so far. After we configure
out how risky they are, we will ship the test cases.

Best wishes.
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Advisory Software Engineer, OpenWhisk Contributor, Open Technology, IBM Cloud

Notes ID: Vincent S Hou/Raleigh/IBM, E-mail: shou@us.ibm.com,
Phone: +1(919)254-7182
Address: 4205 S Miami Blvd (Cornwallis Drive), Durham, NC 27703, United States

-----Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote: -----
To: dev@openwhisk.apache.org
From: Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
Date: 06/23/2018 05:39AM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating

Hi Rodric,

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 2:52 PM Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 22, 2018, at 8:18 AM, Vincent S Hou <shou@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > ...I mean if only release this go client code, there is nothing we can run it against.

> And that is entirely fine per all the ASF docs I’ve read. Is there a requirement that
the code must be
> functional in some extended capacity?...

There's no such requirement for a podling release, especially not for
your first Incubator release.

I would expect that the released module has unit tests that pass when
building it, but that module not being usable in isolation is not a
problem, from the Incubator PMC's point of view.

Of course the ultimate goal is for OpenWhisk to release fantastic
software, we're not doing all this just to keep "the system" happy ;-)

But I think "priming the system" as Matt says, by releasing a single
module, will get us there faster and with less effort.

-Bertrand