openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Chetan Mehrotra <chetan.mehro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] long running actions
Date Thu, 31 May 2018 10:24:32 GMT
Just a quick thought ... May be do it like its done in Travis

1. Each action gets an upper limit say 1 hr (its 50 min in Travis)

2. If there is no progress logging done for say 10 mins then task gets
killed. Here callbacks or long polling would be better

3. An action can still have multiple sub action (like stage jobs in Travis [1])

This way we guard resource consumption for run away actions and still
support long running jobs.

Chetan Mehrotra
[1] https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/build-stages/

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 3:46 PM, Michael Marth <mmarth@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> taking this discussion from Slack to here:
>
> What would be the best way to support long running actions, especially actions for which
the duration is unknown when the action is started.
> An example is e.g. a blackbox container that transcodes a video. The main issue is that
OW limits the amount of time an action can run.

> In my mind, one aspect should also be that there must be a way to inspect progress and
health of such a long running action. Maybe using the action logs is a simple way to do this.

> Couple of comments that were made on Slack already:
> Markus: “it should be possible to make the upper bound of the runtime to be settable
to “Inf”. Would “only” need adjustment in the HttpClient used towards the container
to support an infinite timeout” [1]