openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Michele Sciabarra <openwh...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Completed support for GoLang actions (and more...)
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2018 20:54:36 GMT
Hello all,

I am happy to announce I have closed my "TODO" list for Go Actions (and more) providing unit
tests in ScalaTests for the images I created.

It has been a long journey, but I recap what I accomplished so far:

1. developed a new "actionloop" protocol allowing for high performing binary actions. It basically
 works reading json line by line in stdin,  outputting in fd3, with logs in stdout and stderr
2. The image "actionloop" implements a replacement of the python proxy in go implementing
this protocol. Note it works also for bash actions and generic binaries. It is meant to replace
(or complement) the docker skeleton
3. The image actionloop-golang supports action loops in GoLang. It accepts either binaries
or source actions in the format as in [1].
4. The image actionloop-swift supports action loops in Swift. It accepts either binaries or
source actions in the format as in [2]
5. As a side effect, I defined (and implemented) a "compiler" protocol for using the runtimes
as offline compilers to resolve the warm start problem. Basically the images are also usable
as standalone compilers. I used this feature in tests, but it can be also leveraged, for example,
in wskdeploy

Where is all this stuff?

1. Submitted PR#8 for complete handover of the actionloop (aka goproxy) to incubator-openwhisk-runtime-go
2. Submitted PR#3 for handover of the swift support to incubator-openwhisk-runtime-swift/
3. Submitter PR#47 including tests for the images actionloop, actionloop-golang-v1.9, actionloop-swift-v4.1

The 3 PR should be reviewed and merged in order but I have checked they should merge cleanly.
Luckily they are not so big because the biggest one (the first) has been already reviewed.

Now, I think I should focus on writing documentation for this stuff. I can present it to the

[1] Example of Action in GoLang:
package action

import (
    "encoding/json"
    "fmt"
)

func Main(event json.RawMessage) (json.RawMessage, error) {
    var obj map[string]interface{}
    json.Unmarshal(event, &obj)
    name, ok := obj["name"].(string)
    if !ok {
        name = "Stranger"
    }
    fmt.Printf("name=%s\n", name)
    msg := map[string]string{"message": ("Hello, " + name + "!")}
    return json.Marshal(msg)
}

[2] Example of Action in Swift:
func main(args: [String:Any]) -> [String:Any] {
    if let name = args["name"] as? String {
        print(name)
        return [ "main" : "Hello \(name)!" ]
    } else {