openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Chetan Mehrotra <chetan.mehro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible enhancements around attachment handling
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2018 06:50:59 GMT
> That'd put the "burden" of downloading the action code into each and every runtime, right?
Do you think that is necessary?

#C would need few prototypes to figure out the right approach. My
current thinking was that each runtime can have at minimum wget like
app embedded and then Invoker would just pass in the signed url which
is then passed to wget to do actual streaming

If each runtime webserver can efficiently stream the pushed stream
without in memory buffering then that would indeed be much better
approach to take.

Chetan Mehrotra

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 4:42 PM, Markus Thoemmes
<markus.thoemmes@de.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi Chetan,
>
> thanks a lot for capturing this. It's about time we get streaming for the action code!
>
> One comment to C: That'd put the "burden" of downloading the action code into each and
every runtime, right? Do you think that is necessary? We could keep the notion of the ArtifactStore
as of today and just proxy the TCP stream through the invoker (which has credentials and everything)
into the runtime itself.

> Benefits from my PoV:
> - No needed change to the runtimes at all.
> - Credential handling doesn't need to rely on the ObjectStore provider's featureset (as
in: signed URLs)
> - The invoker can potentially "deduplicate"/cache multiple calls. Under a burst for example
it'd be neat if we only needed to download the code once per invoker